(San Diego, Ca) The Pepperdine women’s basketball team got 16 points from freshman guard Malia Bambrick in it’s first road conference win in two years, defeating San Diego 74-55 on Saturday. Yasmine Robinson-Bacote, Rose Pflug and Barbara Sitanggan all each had at least 10 points as well.
The Waves (8-6, 2-2 WCC) shot better than 50% from the field, compared to 37% from the Toreros (8-7, 1-3 WCC).
- Malia Bambrick (Santa Clarita, Calif./Bishop Alemany HS) had a career-high 16 points, shooting 7-10 from the field and 2-3 from beyond the arc.
- Yasmine Robinson-Bacote (Hillside N.J./Hillside HS) had 14 points, six rebounds, five assists and four steals.
- Rose Pflug (Eugene, Ore./Sunset HS) had 11 points, three rebounds and two assists.
- Barbara Sitanggan (Fullerton, Calif./Troy HS) had 10 points and a team-high 14 assists.
- The Waves shot 51.7% from the field on 31-60 shots, while they held the Toreros to just 37.7% from the field.
- Pepperdine also shot 44.4% from three-point, compared to just 10% from San Diego.
- The Waves had season-high 14 assists in the game, while San Diego had just eight.
- As has been the norm this season, Pepperdine’s bench contributed mightily, scoring 20 of the Waves’ points.
The Waves started off the game strong, getting a three-point shot from Bambrick. San Diego took their only lead of the game with 8:18 left in the first, but only held the lead for 21 seconds before the Waves retook it. Robinson-Bacote, Pflug and Sitanggan each had four points in the first 10 minutes of play as the Waves took a 24-14 lead. Pepperdine jumped out to a 15-point lead halfway through the second quarter, but the Toreros finished the half on a 10-1 run, and trailed the Waves 34-29 going into the half time break.
The third quarter was one of the best quarters that the Waves have played thus far. They kept the Toreros to just four points and went on a 12-0 run. With just ten minutes left in the game, The Waves led by 20, 53-33. In the fourth, the Waves scored 21 points to the Toreros’ 22, thanks in part to eight points from Bambrick. Pflug capped off the game with a 3-pointer to give the Waves the final, 19-point lead.
The Waves will be back in action on Thursday, January 10 against Santa Clara in Malibu, with tip-off set at 7 pm.
Like Our News? Sign Up to Receive News Alerts
Help Support Local News, Become a Sponsor or Advertiser. Our Ad Rates are the most affordable in town. Contact Us for More Information.
Ventura County Local News. Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Ventura, Santa Paula, Moorpark. Visit us for the latest local news information for Ventura County at www.thevoicecalifornia.com
See MORE LOCAL SPORTS: click here
See MORE LOCAL NEWS: click here